Monday, August 2, 2010

Reflections & Transparency


Personally, I have found the two practices that were most useful were the "Journey On" and the "Subtle Mind" techniques. Although I had many favorites (Loving-Kindness, Crime of the Century, the more recently the Taste of human flourishing practice, et cetera..), I found these two to be key practices in my own human flourishing. I believe that many would agree with me in that the Subtle Mind practice offers countless benefits. Such a contemplative state can be used to reflect, gain wisdom, and even be used as a bridge to explore other techniques. I think that without the benefits of a subtle mind, we can't be able to witness our mind. Not to mention beginning our calm-abiding consciousness.


Also, the 'Journey On' opened many doors for me as far as exploring progressive relaxation techniques. I have a hard time winding down when I need to and this one definitely seemed to help. Once I try to recall the feelings and emotions that came with this visualization I begin to notice how I pull myself back into this much needed state. This is an one area that definitely needs my attention. I would like to use both these techniques to ensure that I can subtle my mind and relax my body any time I wish, perhaps even in the midst of the most hectic situations. I also see it as a much needed step in my path in human flourishing. At this moment in time, I believe that my loving-kindness is quite strong and doesn't require as much focus for improvement. Although, there can never be enough love...

Which leads me to a little update on my current well-being:
I'm back on track, exercising and eating healthy again, and have been smoke free for 4 and 1/2 weeks now. Although things don't always go well, I am much better at controlling my perspective and feelings about things and am finding a much more enjoyable quality of life. All thanks to this class.

~Thomas

2 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas!
    I am very happy to hear you are taking such care with yourself and you are feeling the benefits! I agree with you that the subtle mind practice is a wonderful practice. I use this one the most of all the practices we have reviewed in this course. I cannot for the life of me remember or find the "journey on" practice. If you see this post soon, will you let me know what page that is on? I appreciate it. I have been studying Reiki and my other class also calls for some meditation so sometimes it all runs together. Speaking of journeys, it has been quite a journey in the last 8 weeks. I am very sad to see this class go! Thanks for your very thoughtful posts Thomas, I will see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! not a problem at all, will do =)

    ReplyDelete